2.26.2008

Vega$, baby

I just got back from Vegas today. I was there for 2 days for a conference, stayed at Treasure Island where the conference was held. It was a lot nicer than I thought it would be! I didn't have much time to get far from the hotel, but I did manage to play my first live poker tournament at TI's Poker Room. I busted out right before the first break -- caught a couple of bad beats and started to get blinded down. I thought it went well for my first time out, though. I'll do it again.

The company putting on the conference also gave us tix to see Beatles Love at The Mirage next door to TI -- it's a Cirque du Soleil show -- and that was something else. You don't know where to look first -- or at all, I guess. I'm not even sure how to describe it -- but suffice it to say the performers are acrobats, contortionists, athletes and actors all rolled into one. It was crazy -- very elaborate sets and dramatic effects. I love The Beatles, so it was cool to see something set to their music.

I did manage to take a walk to the Forum shops at Caesar's -- if you ever want to feel like you need a sugar daddy, take a walk in that place. Harry Winston, Gucci, Prada, Agent Provocateur, Spago, Tiffany, Cartier, Bulgari, Versace, Louis Vuitton, Jimmy Choo, Exotic Cars -- take your pick. There were other more run of the mill places there, but that is a place for some serious shopping! Between the shops and restaurants, you could spend a whole day in there -- and if you don't pay attention to where you are and how you got there, you might because there are a lot of dead ends in that place. I guess they don't want you to be able to exit easily.

Last night before turning in for the night my co-worker and I walked up the strip a bit. Monday night at 10 p.m., and no shortage of people walking up and down the street -- or people pimping out their clubs. I wish we'd had one more day to get further out. Anyway, I'm gonna have to plan a trip for Jason & me.

This morning we left the hotel at 11 for a 1:30 flight out of McCarran. When it was about time to board the plane, we were told that our pilots weren't there yet, but that the previous pilots stayed on the plane so we could board and be ready when they arrived. After sitting on the plane for half an hour and seeing two mechanics go into the cockpit and fuss with some computers, they told us the plane wasn't going anywhere and we had to get off the plane and get on another one. Fun. So we got back off the plane, went to another gate, got on that plane (oddly enough, although it was Southwest and there is no assigned seating, most people went back to the same seats on the new plane) and finally took off around 3:00, when we should have been landing in Sac. So we got into Sac at about quarter after 4, waited another half hour for luggage and were leaving the airport right before 5 -- just in time for rush hour traffic. Luckily, it wasn't bad but I still didn't get home til 6 and had to move a 5:30 appointment to tomorrow. It took us all day to get home from Vegas! Gah!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lee said...

Hi, I'm an online friend of Beergirl. My wife and I were in Vegas at the same time as you! And we did poker tournaments, and we went to see Love. Heck, we might have been sitting right next to one another! We have recaps of our trip on my blog and hers.

2/29/2008 10:03 AM  
Blogger PlatinumGirl said...

Small world! I'll go check out your recaps.

3/02/2008 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home