2.19.2008

Thrombophlebitis

When I had my wisdom teeth out, I was put under general anesthesia. The doctor put a needle in the top of my hand and injected the drugs through a tube. I remember asking his assistant if my hand and wrist were supposed to hurt like that and they told me somtimes it's a little uncomfortable for a bit. For a few days after that I had a small bruise and my hand was tender. It's been a few weeks now, and the bruise is gone, but the top of my hand and the top of my wrist and lower arm are still tender. For some reason it was uncomfortable to wear a watch. I started feeling my arm and realized I had a swollen vein or something under my skin -- gross!

I called the doctor's office this morning to ask if this was normal and they called me back to tell me the doctor wanted to see me this afternoon. So, I went in and he tells me it's thrombophlebitis. I guess sometimes the drugs irritate the veins and he said he only sees it probably 3 times a year. Lucky me! He told me I need to keep my arm elevated, take anti-inflammatories (aspirin or ibuprofen) and apply heat to it, maybe in the form of a hot wet washcloth. It should subside within a few weeks; if not, I'm supposed to call back and be seen again to be sure it's not getting worse (scarring, clotting, etc.). He didn't seem too concerned, so I'm trying not to be. But really, if I have to be one of 3 people to experience something among of hundreds of people a year who don't, can't it be winning money or something?

Whatever. I gotta stop typing and put my arm back up. Phpthptphphttt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home